Foods to avoid
There are some foods that your turtle definitly should never get:
* Don't feed meat to vegetarian turtles/tortoises
* Spinach is high in oxalic acid which prevents calcium absorption. Don't feed
or feed only very rarely. Same for rhubarb and chard. Do NOT feed rhubarb
leafs. They are poisonous.
* Foods cooked and prepared for humans. They are too high in salt and fat.
* Raw or cooked hamburger or other low-quality, high-fat meat
* Pork, bacon, sausages and processed meat
* Raw chicken or turkey
There are some foods that your turtle should only get sparingly:
* Any canned dog or cat food. Too much fat. Too much protein.
* Cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, kohlrabi, brussels sprouts, turnips,
soy beans, radishes. Feeding too much can promote kidney disease and goiter.
* Organ meats.
* Lettuce and celery have no nutritional value.
* Beef and cooked chicken and other meats for humans
* Beans, peas
The best protection against nutritional deficiencies is a balanced, varied diet
made up of a combination of natural foods and either commercial turtle food or
supplements for reptiles.