Sick Turtle?‎ > ‎FAQ‎ > ‎

Can I get sick from my turtle?

Yes. But it's not very likely. 
PS: You can get sick from pretty much anything, given the right circumstances.

Like other animals and people, turtles carry all sorts of bacteria
on them. The same way that you should not let your dog lick your face,
you should not kiss your turtle. Small children should not be allowed
to put the turtle in their mouth. Always wash your hands after 
handling turtles.

In rare cases a turtle may carry
salmonella. Often, the disease is acquired, if the turtle is fed raw
chicken. If you are worried about salmonella, you can have your vet
test the turtle and treat it. 

There are several excellent articels on turtles an salmonella in
some of the herp magazines and books mentioned below.
Comments