(image of heater tube)
- Use a tube like this (Figure 2) to protect the heater and small turltes.
- Clear PVC pipe.
- Slits put into it (I had TAP plastics do that for me). You could also drill large holes instead.
- Glued into tank using aquarium grade silicone.
- Stick aquarium heater inside. Attach using suction cups. You don't want the heater in direct contact with the pipe--just in case.
- I use a brick to block off the side where the cable comes out to keep turtles from pulling the heater out.
- Additional benefit: Fish like to hide in the tube.
- # For baby turtles: Make sure the pipe openings are blocked off, or the pipe is thin enough to keep turtles from getting lodged in it. I don't use this setup with baby turtles.